You may have heard through the news or social media about Coronavirus (COVID-19), which is raising health concerns across the globe. Although a small number of confirmed or presumptive cases of the virus have been identified in this country, Health Canada, the New Brunswick Department of Health and other agencies have stated that the risk to Canadians remains low. This outbreak is being closely monitored by all relevant agencies in our province and federally.
Should this issue escalate in our community, the YMCA of Fredericton is ready to respond in alignment with the information and guidance from Health Canada and supporting agencies. The YMCA is currently taking steps both in terms of prevention (i.e. hygiene and housekeeping practices), preparedness and our response in the event of an outbreak. We have a number of systems, policies and activities that occur on a daily basis in our ongoing effort to keep our community safe and to react if needed.
Here at the YMCA we are:
- Encouraging frequent hand washing
- Encouraging cough and sneeze etiquette (cover your mouth and nose with your arm when coughing or sneezing)
- Recommending that individuals avoid shaking hands
- Cleaning common areas more frequently and deepening our efforts in cleaning and disinfecting surfaces. Housekeeping staff utilize a disinfectant and germicidal detergent to sanitize locker rooms, meeting rooms, washrooms, etc.
- We have purchased a handheld electrostatic sprayer to disinfect and sanitize items such as toys, hand weights, etc. that may be challenging to clean.
Please help us by:
- Staying home if you or your family members are sick
- Washing your hands before and after entering program areas, after using equipment or before sending your child to a program. Wash hands with soap and warm water frequently for at least 20 seconds
- Covering your cough or sneeze with a tissue or your elbow, and disposing of tissues immediately
- Placing dirty towels in the towel bins
- Wiping down machines and equipment with disinfectant before and after each use
If you would like more information on the Coronavirus, please refer to the Health Canada website at http://bit.ly/2VLC3AZ
YMCA facilities are gathering places for our community. It is through this lens we are approaching this situation and working to ensure the YMCA continues to be safe and welcoming. Thank you for your commitment and support in this matter.